As a speaker, writer, and advocate for teen apologetics, Alex McFarland has spoken in hundreds of locations throughout the US and abroad. He has preached in hundreds of churches throughout American and internationally, and has been featured at major conferences such as The Billy Graham School of Evangelism, Focus On The Family’s Big Dig, Josh McDowell’s True Foundations events, California’s Spirit West Coast, and many more. He has been interviewed on Billy Graham’s Decision radio broadcast, by James Dobson (Focus On The Family radio), NPR’s All Things Considered, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Chuck Colson’s Breakpoint broadcast, CBS, FOX, NBC news, SRN news, the Associated Press (AP) wire service, LA Times, Boston Herald, the BBC, OK- Celebrity News Magazine, Prime Time America, Bible Broadcast Network, La Vie (France), Christianity Today, Charisma, On Mission, and by numerous other media outlets as well.
During the 1990’s (at a time when it was predicted that that the need for apologetics was waning) Alex pioneered apologetics conference formats designed to equip teens and adults to defend their faith. Attendees of all ages began to attend Alex’s “Truth For A New Generation” and “National Conference On Christian Apologetics” events, eagerly learning from scholars such as Josh McDowell, Ravi Zacharias, Lee Strobel, Norman Geisler, and others.
In 2006, Alex was named third president of Southern Evangelical Seminary and the Veritas Graduate School. Prior to this, Alex has served as Focus On The Family’s “Director of Teen Apologetics.” He continues to work with Focus On The Family as a speaker, writer, and consultant.
In his home state of NC, Alex McFarland was named one of, “Forty Leaders Under The Age of Forty,” by the Jaycees. Alex is the only evangelist known to have preached in all 50 states in only 50 days, through his “Tour Of Truth.” This crusade across America included 64 evangelistic services, became the subject of Alex’s first book, and was used by God to bring many people to personal faith in Christ.
Since 2000, Alex has been the Friday host for “Truth Talk Live,” a nationally syndicated, live radio program. Alex is the author of many articles and books, such as The Ten Most Common Objections to Christianity- and How To Answer Them (Regal), and STAND STRONG in College (Focus On The Family / Tyndale).
Alex McFarland attended the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and earned a Master’s degree in Christian Thought / Apologetics from Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA. He was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in 2006. Angie McFarland is the godly and supportive wife who has played a tremendous role in all that the Lord has called Alex to do. They have been married since 1988, and currently live in North Carolina.
Some of the topics dr. Alex McFarland speaks on:
- APOLOGETICS 101 – The 10 most common objections to Christianity, and how to effectively answer them
- WHAT YOU’LL HEAR YOUR FRESHMAN YEAR – Preparing Christian youth ahead of time for the ways that college will challenge their faith
- UNDER ATTACK – The assault against the Bible, and the facts that verify scripture’s divine origin
- HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE WITHOUT BEING BORED, CONFUSED, or FEELING LIKE YOU’VE WASTED YOUR TIME
- HOW TO MEMORIZE, UNDERSTAND, AND COMMUNICATE THE 6 MOST BASIC CHRISTIAN BELIEFS
- THE RESURRECTION, AND ANCIENT EVIDENCE FOR THE LIFE OF CHRIST – The most important fact of history – that Jesus rose from the dead
- CREATION vs. EVOLUTION, AND WHY IT MATTERS
- TRUTH EXISTS, ABSOLUTELY! – How to understand the crucial issues related to truth, God, and modern society.
- FIVE THINGS THAT DISTINGUISH JESUS CHRIST FROM ANYONE ELSE WHO EVER LIVED – The deity of Christ
- TEN THINGS NOT TO CONSIDER WHEN DETERMINING WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG – Christian Ethics
- HUMAN LIFE: SACRED IN ALL CONTEXTS – Dealing with abortion, cloning, and embryonic stem cell research
- FOUR FACTS, CENTRAL TO THE DEBATE OVER VALUES – Understanding the crucial questions concerning moral absolutes
- HOW TO EFFECTIVELY SHARE CHRIST BY GIVING A 3 – 5 MINUTE PERSONAL TESTIMONY
- THE LOCAL CHURCH – Know the priorities and functions of God’s “called-out assembly”
- THE TRULY CHRISTIAN POSITION ON HOMOSEXUALITY
- A CHRISTIAN RESPONSE TO THE NEW AGE MOVEMENT
- WAR OF THE WORLD VIEWS – Understanding and responding effectively to belief systems that oppose Christianity
- GOD, GAMBLING, AND THE COMMON GOOD – The truly Christian position on gambling and the lottery
- “SUBMISSION” IS NOT A BAD WORD – Understanding and applying what the Bible says about the roles of men and women
- DIVINE RETRIBUTION – Reconciling the goodness of God with the reality of Hell
- LIFE LESSONS FROM GENESIS AND JOSEPH – A 3-part study of Genesis 37-45, covering: The character of Joseph, the sovereignty of God, and the ministry of Jesus.